Name five characteristics that good research questions possess.
Research questions seek to do one or more of the following:
- Foster discovery … research & it’s methods are reliant on being able to ask good questions
- Provide some level of validation or confirmation … the ability to reproduce results is an important factor regarding how credible the research will be viewed.
- “Break new ground” … research drives uncovering things previously unknown.
- Move the knowledge in the field forward … connecting to what already exists helps position the research so that linkages in the field of study can continue to be made.
- Provide the backdrop for future research questions … the saying of “one question can lead to another” is what helps research bring about advances.