Purpose of the law
- Establishing standards identifies what types of behavior are and are not accepted in society. For example, damage to a person or property is considered a crime because it is not tolerated by society.
- Maintaining order is necessary for a civilized society
- Protecting liberties and rights ensures each individual is allowed his or her constitutional rights, including freedom of speech and so forth.
Functions of law
- To structure the government
- To protect minorities from majorities
- To resolve disputes peacefully
- Setting standards of conduct behavior
- Reallocate resources
- to compensate victims
- To punish the wrong doers